Thursday 27 July 2017

Hats

Back to women's accessories, this time hats. I like the idea of hats, but always thought that they didn't really suit me, and I tended to wear them just for fun, or as head protection in bad weather, rather than as serious fashion statements. I think you'll agree that I don't look my best in these examples from 2010, 2012, 2014 and 2016:


I consider these hats - seen here worn in 2015 and 2016 - to be credible wear for cold conditions. But only for that:


Over the years, I accumulated a series of pictures of myself larking about in all kinds of daft hats. Here's a selection from 2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015:


As you can see, it was often an hilarious experience! One or two of those hats weren't complete jokes. I rather liked the one I was wearing at Cragside in Northumberland (third picture down, just above), and the cheeky hat I put on in Kirkcaldy Art Gallery in Scotland (fifth down).

More recently, in 2016, this hat of a local friend, though not quite 'me', got me thinking that I could get away with wearing something on my head that looked half-decent:

  
And then, the other day in Canterbury, I spotted this black sun hat by Bronté in the Fenwick department store:


I was with my cousin Rosemary. She thought it looked very good on me. I bought it.

Well, does it work? Here's a few very recent shots of myself with said hat on. Personally, I reckon it looks the best of all of them, but whether it really adds charm and allure is debatable. However, it's comfortable to wear, certainly does well as a sun hat, doesn't compress my hair, and won't blow off in the wind (I've sewn in a thin elastic chin strap for windy conditions):


One person I was eating with last weekend thought it looked a bit like a witch's hat. Hmm. I see what they mean. Oh well, my cousin Margaret - an ace genealogist - did discover a sixteenth-century witch in the family. I'm probably a modern reincarnation!

3 comments:

  1. Cher Lucy, as the person you were eating with last Sunday, who thought the hat looked like a witch's hat... I thought I'd check you realised it was humour, and only ever humour ☺️ I think in general you look very good in hats... and I like that one too... Liz xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts, for what they're worth: with beautiful hair like yours, why cover it up?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good point, Angie! Mind you, it IS a sun hat, so I don't suppose it'll be worn all that much!

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete


This blog is public, and I expect comments from many sources and points of view. They will be welcome if sincere, well-expressed and add something worthwhile to the post. If not, they face removal.

Ideally I want to hear from bloggers, who, like myself, are knowable as real people and can be contacted. Anyone whose identity is questionable or impossible to verify may have their comments removed. Commercially-inspired comments will certainly be deleted - I do not allow free advertising.

Whoever you are, if you wish to make a private comment, rather than a public one, then do consider emailing me - see my Blogger Profile for the address.

Lucy Melford